Two fantastic figure drawing books


I just got a review copy of DRAWN TO LIFE: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes from Focal Press Yesterday and man, is it impressive. This first volume is a collection of Walt Stanchfield lectures from his classes at the Walt Disney Studios and only thirty pages in (of 400!) it's already one of the most impressive books I've ever read on Figure drawing. I've been a big fan of Michael Mattesi's FORCE: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators since I first read it three years ago and I have my students use it in class every term. I cannot say enough about this text, every time I read it I learn something new and bring it over to my figure stuff and I'm already feeling that way about DRAWN TO LIFE. Both of these are from Focal Press and neither bothers with bones and muscles, but rather the essence of communication with the figure. Get your own copies as soon as you can and you'll agree, these are art altering books.